Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Do not begin a blog with "existentialism".


I've been carrying around these 'Columbo notebooks' for months now. Maybe even a year. Sometimes people look at me like I'm nuts when I suddenly pull my notebook and pen out and start scribbling, but I don't think it's weird. I don't necessarily think it's theraputic either. Nothing like that. These notebooks are around for two reasons. I love to write/want to be 'a writer' and my home computer is broken. Also, I think I'm hilarious. I really do. I think I'm smarter and funnier than most people I've met. So these brilliant observations MUST be chronicled.
(I am not funny.)

That's an exaggerated version of why I keep my notebooks, and why I've now decided to keep some of these thoughts online. To put it simply, I don't want to die. These pages are an attempt to recognize that I've been alive all this time (24 years). If organizing thoughts into language is the only thing I'm good at, I might as well do it.

Most of my motivation in life comes from the desire to 'fly under the radar'. I've excelled at being a B student. A 'head-plus', at best. I am beyond comfortable with mediocre...it's my way of life. Well, mediocre-plus anyway. I think this is why I loved Lt. Columbo so much. With his cigars and his trenchcoats, and his...stupidity. Even when I was sixteen, I knew he was on to something. THAT'S the way to do it, Columbo. Take the pressure off. Play the part. Do the work while nobody's looking. Then, when you do wrap it up in the end (in a lighthearted, yet accurate way), they'll all just smile and say 'he knew it all along'.

I'm in there somewhere.


This is going to be my online version of my actual Columbo Notebooks. Ramblings, mostly. I guess we'll just have to see if I figure anything out by the end of the show...
(Obviously, I have no idea how to use this site yet. I'm workin' on it. I hate spell check. and I'm not nuts about the layout of my page either. If you can forgive a few inaccurate punctuations-on purpose, of course-I hope you'll continue to read the bullshit trickling out of my brain. Or something.)

No comments: